The Church was first opened in 1815 and was in continuous with its own rector until 1964 when it united with Ardee Union. It continued in use until 2013 when it was closed because the electric wiring failed. This caused a crisis because Ardee Church could not meet the cost of the repair. During 2013 the Church was closed and its condition deteriorated.
Late in 2013 a group of local concerned people came together and set up Friends of Collon Church Limited. The Friends group was initially 12 members and others later joined bringing the wider Friends group to about 20 people from all sides of the Collon village community. The Friends group was immediately supported by the Conservation Office of Louth Co Council.